Thursday, March 5, 2009

Workshop number 2

Help . . . As a leader, how do I help the Depressed? - Gloria Baker
“Be better informed and prepared to minister to the depressed. This workshop will examine the causes and symptoms of depression along with the physiology and treatments. Suggestions for ministering to the depressed and identifying lifestyle choices to help prevent depression will also be discussed”



This is a subject that is close to my heart. I was diagnosed with depression my sophomore year of College. I really struggled with the diagnosis for awhile because I was not sure what I believed about depression and if it was a spiritual issue or a physical issue. I think that this is a big problem in the Christian community. Several people assume that depression is just simply a sin problem. There must be something in ones life that is causing them to not trust God enough or they are being too prideful and therefore just feeling sorry for themselves. At the time I examined my life and knew that the root of the problem was not sin but I was still ashamed to tell people that I was on medication for depression. I always liked being knows as a happy person and depression is not something that I thought would define my life. Anyway, I kept living life and taking my little blue pills and I will admit that life was much better.
Fast forward in my life to about six years ago when Josh and I were talking about having kids. I assumed I needed to go off those little pills and thought I will be fine. I called my doctor and SLOWLY went off the pills. I was not the person that I wanted to be however. There was nothing that I could do to make myself calm and steady as I had been for so long. I prayed and prayed that God would reveal why this was the case. I attended a Christian conference at that time and one of the women was sharing her story which happened to include depression. She exclaimed that she was so thankful that God allowed to man to make the little “happy” pills and if that is what it took to make her into a better Christian woman she would continue to take them until she went to heaven or Christ returned. At that time it was good enough for me so back on the pills I went.
I still desperately wanted to have kids and had to figure out a way to take the pills and be pregnant. It was at that time that I finally realized the connection with the migraines I had had and depression. Obviously most of you know about the neurosurgery I had in high school. After that process I had some pretty bad migraines that would sometimes land me in bed. I was being treated for these at the headache clinic in Ann Arbor as we called it. Well I seem to remember them talking a lot about a serotonin imbalance and that being the reason for all the headaches. Well in my research I also found that depression is a serotonin imbalance. Amazingly enough since I have been on medication for depression I have not had nearly as many headaches. I finally got it. Headaches are a physical pain. I have never heard anyone exclaim that they don’t believe in headaches it is just a sin problem well the same thing that causes headaches causes depression so therefore depression must be a physical issue. That same idea was spelled out at the conference in a very clear way. The following is the chart that was provided at the conference. (Somewhere in this process I talked to my OB about my depression and getting pregnant and they told me that the pills I am on are fine to take while pregnant. SO I followed their advice and almost three kids later I am still taking those little pills)



Creation
(no pain and suffering everything was perfect)

The Fall (Genesis 3)

Brokennesss (as a result of the fall)
(This includes pain, suffering, disease, and death)

Many try to break this brokenness up into two categories
Bone Brain
Here is the question to ponder . . .
Does God value pain “above the neck” differently than pain “below the neck?”

I do believe that there is a spiritual dimension to depression that needs to be treated as well. I don’t think that it is right for people to just be put onto pills without having some counseling to consider where the problem is really stemming from. I know that I have days that it seems like my depression is out of control. I know that on those days I need to pray harder for God’s grace and strength. I need to pray that he will protect my mind from the thoughts that can so easily overtake me and I need to remember that this too shall pass and someday very soon I will be in the loving arms of my Heavely Father where there will be no pain.

Ok now back to the conference and how we can help those who are depressed. The teacher went into great depths on how depression affects our brains and how the pills cause our brains to function properly. (if you want more explanation on that one let me know).

Here is a helpful outline for ministering to a depressed person
• Have a biblical mindset (w/in the framework of a Christian worldview)
• Educate yourself (causes, symptoms, treatment)
o An educational DVD “the Only way Out is through”
o Websites
 www.medlineplus.gov
 www.depression.com
 www.nih.gov
 www.depression-doctor.com
o Books
 The estrogen-depression connection, Karen Miller and Steven Rogers
 Becoming Emotionally whole, Charles Stanley
 Healing for damaged emotions, David Seamands
• Make “I Statements” rather that “you statements”
o (Lately I’ve noticed that you seem much quieter than usual)
• Focus on real needs by utilizing “I CAN”
o C – Connect with them in their pain. LISTEN without judging (refrain from cramming scripture down their throat)
o A – Affirm them . . . rehearse their positives/accomplishments, pray with and for them, cards, calls of encouragement.
o N – nudge them . . . I’m wondering what you plan to do about this? Offer your help.
NOTE: recognize the depression trinity – feeling helpless, hopeless, worthless
Be a source of hope as well as help!
Unfortunately some have been known to “shoot” the emotionally wounded!

A depression questioner is a great way to get to the root of the issue. Here is a good one that I have used before http://www.depression.com/depression_questionnaire.html

1 comment:

Meghan said...

thanks for writing this out, lindsay. i've been on medication since January, and i have been able to tell that i'm not gonna just be able to wean myself off of it real quick like i had hoped. it's been one of the main things i've been wrestling with lately. it really helps to hear your perspective. i get migraines too and i'd never made that connection!